5.21.2009

Baby gifts

It seems like everyone I know is popping out babies right now and therefore the topic of baby gifts has come up recently. B's sister had a beautiful baby last year - the first grandchild in the family and really the first baby we really knew at the time.

Here are a few of the gifts we bought for Olivia, and which will surely be on my go-to list from here on out:



From left to right: Sophie la Giraffe (brilliant French teether, handmade in the Alps), adorable pink baby crocs (smallest size they had - she just grew into them at about 11 months), and the softest blanket ever.

However, we didn't want to add too many store-bought gifts to the growing mass of toys, supplies and outfits that B's sis and brother-in-law were inevitably receiving from B's large extended family. Instead, we wanted to give a gift that was really personalized for the new threesome.

B's sister and brother-in-law have a Boston Terrier and a Bull Terrier, so we thought of incorporating them into something every baby needs - basic onesies.

I bought a short sleeve onesie and a long sleeve t-shirt, each in a different size (banking that she'd be growing fast). Even buying two separate sizes/styles was still under $10 - gotta love Tarjay. Then, using a project I saw on Martha (see the full instructions and video here), I set out to make these one evening after work. I first bought fun fabric from JoAnn Fabrics that I thought would work well for each of the dogs (pink damask for the female Boston Terrier and a graphic black-and-white print for the manly Bull Terrier). When I got home, I simply Google-image-searched their two types of dogs. When I found good images (side shots and with minimal background clutter), I printed them out and trimmed out the outline for each of the two dogs. I then ironed the paper cut-outs onto Wonder Under (a cool webbing/applique product that I purchased for less than $10, also from JoAnn) and ironed my newly made appliques onto the onesie and t-shirt, respectively. I would've followed up with a topstitch to really secure the appliques and give it that finished look - like Martha did - but I don't have a sewing machine, so the ironed-on appliques were where I stopped. Sorry baby O. Nonetheless, the onesie and tee looked adorable and made for a very personalized gift with only medium (perhaps even minimal the second time around) effort. Here are some (poorly lit) photos (I really need to set a better flash level on my camera):







We also made a trio of silhouette portraits of his sister, brother-in-law and the new baby, which we framed, but I can post about that project another day if anyone is interested. If you want further instructions for the onesies, let me know or check out the Martha link. Happy gifting!

No comments:

Post a Comment